Salmorejo is a Spanish cold soup that you can use also as a dip. It’s normally served with chopped jamón ibérico and eggs. Salmorejo is the perfect dish for hot summer days!
PREPARATION TIME5 minutes
COOKING TIME15 minutes
- 200 g of stale white bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes
- 750 g of ripe and mellow tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 250 ml La Española Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- La Española Extra Virgin Olive Oil, to drizzle
- 50 g of Jamon iberico de bellota (optional)
- 1 boiled egg, chopped (optional)
- Crusty bread
- Place the bread in a large bowl and pour over enough cold water to cover. Leave to soak for 3-4 minutes.
- Squeeze the water from the bread, and place in a blender with the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and sherry vinegar. Blend, until you have obtained a thick and smooth texture. Season to taste.
- Pour into bowls and serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, slices of Iberico ham and chopped egg. Serve with chunks of bread for dipping.