Comunidad de Madrid
Raise your hand if you love croquetas! They are small, crunchy, full of flavour and… delicious! Surprise your guests with a spinach and cheese croquetas tapa.
PREPARATION TIME30 minutes, plus about 2 ½ hrs chilling time
COOKING TIME20 minutes
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cups good-quality vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tbsp La Española Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup plain flour
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 2/3 cup baby leaf spinach, blanched, squeezed dry and chopped
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 1 cup Iberico cheese, grated
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dried panko breadcrumbs, made from stale white bread
- 4 cups La Española Mild & Light Olive Oil, for deep-frying
- Pour the milk and stock into a pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and keep warm
- Melt the butter, with the olive oil in a medium pan and cook the onion and garlic over a low heat for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the flour and cook gently for 2-3 minutes, without letting it brown. Gradually beat in the warm, milky stock, beating well between each addition, so the mixture becomes silky smooth. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes to out cook the flour.
- Stir in a little grated nutmeg, the spinach, pine nuts and cheese, then season with salt and a little black pepper.
- Transfer to a shallow dish, spread out in an even layer and cover with cling film. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Place the beaten eggs and breadcrumbs into 2 separate shallow dishes. Lightly oil your palms and roll about 1½ tbsp of the mixture into a small barrel shape, then repeat to form about 25 croquetas.
- Dip 4-5 croquetas at a time into the beaten egg, then into the breadcrumbs. Place on a plate and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Pour the olive oil into a deep pan and heat to 190°C (or until a piece of bread turns golden in 30-40 seconds). Fry the croquetas in batches for 2-3 minutes until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with the truffle aioli.