Are you undecided on what you’re cooking this Labor Day? La Española has the perfect healthy and delicious options for you and your family, no matter how you plan to spend your weekend.
If you plan on spending the day at the park having a picnic, this drink recipe is sure to leave you and your family feeling refreshed and ready for the day’s activities:
4 bags of black tea
4 cups of room temperature water, separated into 2 cups each
¾ cup of fresh lemon juice
½ cup of sugar
3 cups of cold water
1. Place tea bags in a microwave-safe glass measuring cup with only 2 cups of room temperature water, microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and let sit for 5 minutes. With a fork or spoon, press tea bag against glass measuring cup to squeeze out remaining tea. Remove the tea bags and pour contents of measuring cup into a pitcher and stir in the 2 remaining cups of room temperature water.
2. In the same glass measuring cup, stir together lemon juice, sugar, and cold water. Pour contents into pitcher with the tea and stir to combine. Chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Pour over ice when ready to serve.
Are you tired of the same, boring hamburgers and hot dogs? Impress your friends and family with this fun twist to a Labor Day main dish:
Grilled Barbecue Chicken
6 medium sheets aluminum foil to wrap around chicken breasts
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ cup barbecue sauce
1 bell pepper (any color), sliced into thin strips
La Española extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat grill to medium heat
2. Stack two sheets of aluminum foil on top of the other (3 sets)
3. Place one chicken breast to each foil pack, season with salt and pepper and coat each chicken breast with 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce.
4. Divide bell pepper slices evenly and place into foil packs with chicken, drizzle vegetables and chicken in EVOO
5. Fold the sides of the foil over chicken, completely cover and seal the packets.
6. Place foil packs on heated grill and cook for 25 minutes, chicken should read 165 F on thermometer
7. Cool for 5 minutes and serve
Every Labor Day cookout needs a classic dish, so here’s a recipe we’ve created for our more traditional Barbecuers:
Grilled Vegetable Kabobs
1 cup of cherry tomatoes
1 cup of mushrooms
1 large zucchini
1 large yellow zucchini squash
1 red bell pepper, chopped (large pieces)
1 green bell pepper, chopped (large pieces)
1 red onion, chopped (large pieces)
4 tablespoons of La Española extra virgin olive oil
½ tablespoon of salt
¼ tablespoon of black pepper
1. In a large bowl, mix all vegetables with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Coat vegetables evenly. Cover the bowl and let marinade for 30 minutes in the fridge. Remove vegetables from bowl and begin threading onto skewers.
*Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.*
2. Turn grill to medium heat. Once heated, place all skewers on the grill. Rotate kabobs occasionally. Cook vegetables for 10-12 minutes until you can see marks from the grill on the vegetables.
And of course, we can’t forget the people who have a bit of a sweet tooth! This dessert recipe tops off a perfect day of fun with your friends and family:
17.5 oz. sugar cookie mix pouch
8 oz. block of cream cheese, room temp.
7 oz. package marshmallow cream
½ cup butter, room temp.
3 cups of blueberries, sliced strawberries and kiwis
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Make sugar cookie dough according to instructions on package, mix in butter and egg. Spread dough evenly on a greased cookie sheet
3. Bake around 12 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool completely
4. Mix cream cheese and marshmallow cream until smooth consistency
5. Frost cookie with cream
6. Place fruit on pizza. Keep in fridge until ready to serve. Slice into squares for serving